Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Thanksgiving


I love Thanksgiving. It really is my favorite holiday of the year and not just because it falls on my birthday every 4 years. In fact, as a kid it was always confusing to me why I had to share my day with a bird and why was it every 4 years my birthday seemed to be a bigger deal then the others. Eventually I caught on.

There are many stories of the origin of Thanksgiving and many other countries who have their own version of a fall season festival of thanks. The dates are not always the same (our neighbors in Canada celebrate their thanksgiving in October) but the intent is very similar.

Thanksgiving is the one day a year that is set aside for the purpose of giving thanks. Pure and simple. How perfect is that? Not that you should only be thankful one day a year, but that we all, as a community set aside differences for one day and say what we are thankful for. It doesn't matter what religious, political, or philosophical belief you hold. It doesn't matter if you were born here in the US or if you or your family made the pilgrim voyage here recently.  It is a holiday we all share.

It is a day to celebrate each other and to say those simple little words Thank You!

No comments:

Post a Comment