Friday, February 13, 2015

Life Lessons from the back of a Camel (part 2)

We actually stayed in Phoenix and all the signs pointed to a very lovely time ahead. Complete with being greeted by a half dozen of these lovely little bunnies hopping among the foliage. 
Tres Spa Desert Hare
Desert Rabbit Phoenix Arizona, photo by Janice Summers
We never plan too much ahead of time. We have a general idea of what we would like to do but no hard and fast plans. We spend too much of our life running on the treadmill of all the things we must get done the rest of the year. This is the one time of year we get to put the breaks on and simply go with what fancies us in the moment. In this particular situation, on this particular trip, one of us (not me) was determined to hike the Camel Back. Seems she had done it once before and thought it would be great fun for us to do. I was willing to go along but not thrilled at the prospect. I have a huge fear of heights and I was aware of some harrowing bits on the climb to the top. Needless to say, I was only to happy to enjoy the view of the Camel back from the balcony at the spa.

Tres Spa visit to the Joya Spa in Phoenix
Camel Back Mountain in the backdrop of the Joya Spa in Phoenix AZ, photo by Janice Summers
We planned our excursion to climb the Camels Back another day as we nibbled on healthy spa food and sipped our cocktails. Okay the drinks weren't exactly cricket spa fare but a girls gotta live a little bit. We promised to hike the mountain after the spa and after our trip to Sedona. Notice how we kept putting it out further an further? But as I sipped my Mojito, I was weary of just which peak I had to summit on said range in front of me. How on earth did she expect me to climb that?! No need to worry now, we have managed to put it of for a later date.

Well, eventually time caught up with me and the final day of the trip came. I could no longer forestall the inevitable. My friend was determined to hike the Camel Back and since I was the last one still around, guess who had to go hike it with her.

They say hindsight is 20x20 and you know I believe them. Had I known what was in store for me and the insights to life I would get along the journey well I don't think I would have waited so long.

No comments:

Post a Comment