Monday, January 25, 2016

Scents - Why so many?!

Have you ever herd the phrase "Variety is the spice of life"! I have and it must have had a profound impact on me. So much so that I surround myself with it. I do it in my kitchen, in my spice cupboard, in my sock drawer, my shoe rack, my clothes.....Last count, I think I had 7 different frying pans in various shapes and sizes. My spice cupboard will allow you to cook any dish from any culture just about. Shoes for every occasion and any mood! Socks, I have no idea why I tend to hoard socks but there you have it, And of course I did the same with Tres Spa and the variety of aromatics I blend with. 

It is true, I do have a wide variety of scents to choose from and every year I try to find one or two to retire (at least for a while) but I end up bringing it back once a few of you clamor for it. The beauty of it is, since I create the products in small batches, I have that ability. Having so much to choose from may pose a bit of a challenge for folks, but to me scents are like seasonings and you never know what your nose will have an appetite for next.

I love aromatics and I love variety but I do, however, have my limits. I have a code that I established long ago and I stick by it when formulating.*

  • I only use pure plant essential oils.
  • I never use "nearly natural" since this is a blend of a fraction of essential oil (usually one of the less expensive oils) mixed with synthesized scents.
  • I do not formulate with synthesized scents. These are chemical combinations cooked up in a lab to mimic certain characteristics of natural odors. So you will not any fruity smell or strong coconut (the most requested smells I get) smells in my skin care or personal care. 

So if you are having a hard time choosing, I do apologize. I try to describe the aromatics for you and some of my customers are kind enough to supply their experience for you in hopes of making the decision easier. But if you are still having trouble making up your mind, it is perfectly okay to get more than one! No one will mind if you have more than one scent to choose from, after all, your nose likes a variety as well! 

*Not all oils are created equal so I may use one oil in several ingredients while another would only be found in very few. For example, some oils are abundant and readily available and the resources are easily replaced without causing undue burden on the Eco system. Lavender, for example, can grow under a wide verity of conditions and just one plant produces an abundance of flowers to harvest. The plant is left in tact and only the flowers are harvested. Very Eco-Friendly. But take an oil like Sandalwood which is harvested from the heartwood of a mature plant, obviously you wont find me using this in my soap, but I will use it in a a bland that is more precious. This tree/shrub takes 30 years to grow and is chopped down in order to harvest. Not Eco-Friendly. But we can cover what oils are and aren't eco-friendly in the future. 

Get the inside scoop on specials and other announcements from Tres Spa Subscribe Here!

Of course, our website is always open so stop by any time www.tresspa.com or on Amazon

If you like it, share it!



Have something to add? Comment below

No comments:

Post a Comment